Alleged Chinese spy Christine Fang
Guest essay by Eric Worrall
h / t Breitbart; Axios claims a suspected Chinese spy attempted to infiltrate and influence the Obama administration with an alleged array of dirty sexual affiliation and political activity, including a productive fundraiser for Green New Deal supporter Eric Swalwell (D-CA). Note that there is no evidence that the targets of the alleged espionage were aware of nefarious activity.
Exclusive: Suspected Chinese spy targeted California politicians
Bethany Allen-Ebrahimian, Zach Dorfman of the Aspen Institute
A suspected Chinese intelligence official developed extensive relationships with local and national politicians, including a US Congressman. According to US officials, it was a political intelligence operation carried out by China's largest civilian espionage agency between 2011 and 2015 Detection.
The woman at the center of the operation, a Chinese citizen named Fang Fang or Christine Fang, targeted emerging local politicians in the Bay Area and across the country who had the potential to make a big difference on the national stage.
Among the most important goals one of Fang's efforts was Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Calif.).
- Fang took part in fundraising drives for Swalwell's 2014 re-election campaignAccording to a Bay Area political officer and a current US intelligence official. Swalwell's office was directly aware of these activities on his behalf, the political agent said. The same political actor who witnessed Fang fundraising on Swalwell's behalf found no evidence of illegal contributions.
- The documents of the Bundestag Election Commission do not show that Fang himself made donations that are prohibited by foreigners.
- Fang helped place at least one intern in Swalwell's officeAccording to the same two people and interacted with Swalwell at several events over several years.
A statement from Swalwell's office to Axios stated: "Rep. Swalwell provided information on this person a long time ago – whom he met more than eight years ago and whom he has not seen for almost six years – to the FBI. To protect information that may be classified, he will not participate in your story. "
- Fang helped with a fundraiser for Rep. Tulsi Gabbard (D-Hawaii) shared on Facebook in 2013, according to a flyer from the Catch event. She appeared in photos with a variety of California politicians over several years including Khanna, Swalwell, MP Judy Chu (D-Calif.) and then-Rep. Mike Honda (D-Calif.).
- It positioned itself "as a link between the Asian-American community and members of Congress". remembered a Bay Area political agent she knew.
Read more: https://www.axios.com/china-spy-california-politicians-9d2dfb99-f839-4e00-8bd8-59dec0daf589.html
During his tenure on the Science, Space and Technology Committee of the House of Representatives, Eric Swalwell was a strong advocate for the acceptance of radical climate positions.
A newcomer to the Democratic side couldn't resist adding his own insults, addressed not to the witness but to his Republican counterparts. “I have to say that to be honest Dr. Holdren, at this point you should be prepared to clarify whether the earth is round or flator whether gravity actually happens. You just never know what might fly at you. " said representative Eric Swalwell (D – CA), whose Northern California district includes two national Department of Energy laboratories. His disdain also led him far from the subject of the hearing.
"And I have to say that 97% of scientists say climate change was man-made. I am encouraged to see that some of my colleagues across the minority gang have given the 3% a vote," Swalwell continued in his voice away dripping with sarcasm. “This is encouraging to the other minorities that my colleagues across the aisle have not helped, including immigrants waiting for major immigration reform, women who have not received equal pay for equal work, and those who have been affected by changes of the Voting Rights Act are affected. ”
Read more: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2014/03/house-science-panel-hearing-sarcasm-rules
Swalwell is currently a member of the House Intelligence Committee. Swalwell reportedly believes the espionage scandal story was President Trump's fault.
It's hard to know if the alleged Chinese spy really wanted to help radical Green Democratic candidates like Swalwell, or if she was just using her fundraiser and other activities to pet ego and gather information. And of course there can be active Chinese spies who work to infiltrate other parties as hard as Fang allegedly worked on a number of democratic politicians.