Columbus Police Relieve Officer Of Responsibility After Deadly Capturing

Columbus Police Relieve Officer Of Duty After Fatal Shooting

Police in Columbus, Ohio, said it fired an officer Tuesday after fatally shooting an unarmed man black man, the second law enforcement agency in town to kill the one black man last month.

The most recent incident occurred in the early hours of Tuesday morning after officers responded to a non-urgent complaint about a man turn a car on and off for a long period of time, Columbus Police said in a statement.

Shortly after the officers arrived, a man Those who had been in a garage approached them on foot with their left hand holding a cell phone and their right hand not visible, police said, citing the video from a body-worn camera.

One of the officers then shot the manwho later died in a local hospital, they said.

The incident is the latest in a spate of murders of black Americans by police in the United States this year, including one in Columbus on December 4th, sparking waves of protests against racial injustice and brutality by law enforcement agencies.

Hundreds of protesters demonstrated peacefully in the city center Columbus on December 11th after the deputy of a Franklin County Sheriff shot and killed Casey Christopher Goodson, 23, outside his home.

Federal authorities have opened an investigation into Goodson's murder.

At Tuesday's shooting, a preliminary investigation revealed that the victim was only identified as a 47-year-old manI visited someone in the house, said the police. No weapon was found at the scene, police added.

Although none of the officers activated their body cameras until shortly after the shooting, police said they were recorded on video but not audio due to a 60-second review feature.

“This is a tragedy many levels " Columbus Police Chief Thomas Quinlan said in a statement. "Above all, a life has been lost."

Quinlan said he had exonerated the officer involved in the shooting and asked him to surrender his badge and weapon pending an internal review and investigation by state authorities.

Columbus Mayor Andrew Ginther said late Tuesday on Twitter that it was "unacceptable" for the officer not to turn on his cameras.

(Reporting by Peter Szekely in New York and Maria Ponnezhath in Bengaluru; editing by Bernadette Baum and Chizu Nomiyama)