Ex-Hawai’i record-setting QB Colt Brennan dead at 37

Ex-Hawai'i record-setting QB Colt Brennan dead at 37

Colt Brennan, who set numerous NCAA records as the University of Hawaii quarterback, has died, his father Terry Brennan told the Star Advertiser. He was 37 years old.

His father said Colt Brennan was in his fifth month in a rehab facility in California when he was found passed out. He died in a Newport, California hospital on Monday.

“He was doing so well, the spark was in his eyes again, and he was healthy and he was doing well and it happened,” Terry Brennan told the newspaper.

BREAKING: Former Hawaii quarterback Colt Brennan dies at 37 #HawaiiFB https://t.co/aPiymmVvwu pic.twitter.com/nSpEBtLocm

– Star Advertiser (@StarAdvertiser) May 11, 2021

Terry Brennan said the family were by Colt’s side when he died.

Colt Brennan’s success from 2005 to 2007 helped put Hawaiian football on the map. He went three times for more than 4,000 yards, including 5,549 in 2006. That season, he set the record for touchdown passes in one season at 58. The record was broken by Joe Burrow in the 2019 season.

Brennan is fourth ever in career touchdown passes at 131.

Brennan finished sixth in the Heisman poll in 2006 and third in 2007. The 2007 team finished the regular season 12-0, 10 on the Associated Press poll before losing to Georgia in the Sugar Bowl.

Brennan was taken over by Washington in the sixth round of the 2008 draft, but injuries prevented him from playing his rookie year and he was released. He never played in the NFL.

A 2010 car accident resulted in a traumatic brain injury that made it difficult to continue his football career. He tried to gain a foothold in the USFL, Canadian Football League, and Arena Football League, but didn’t stick with it.

Brennan has had a number of legal troubles in recent years, including arrests for driving under Brennan’s influence.

In 2020 he was arrested in a hotel for causing disturbance while intoxicated. A few months later, he was arrested at his own home in Hawaii for another incident in which police said he was “extremely intoxicated”.