So you want to be a great NFL bettor. Well, first you need tons of cash. Then you need nerves made of steel.
The Saints tested an investor's nerves when they played a roller coaster game against the chargers on Monday night.
MORE: SN's NFL week 6 pecks at the spread
Action Network reported Monday that about half an hour before kick-off, an investor made two bets totaling $ 1.487 million with the Saints to hit the Chargers directly on Monday Night Football on the DraftKings sports betting website to beat.
New Orleans was heavily favored; Based on Action Network's calculations, the odds were minus 333 (bet $ 100 to win $ 33.33). The combined potential payout for these bets was $ 446,100 per promotional network.
Then came the game. Try to sit through it all with nearly five million on the line, no matter how rich or brave you are:
The Saints fell 20-3 in the second quarter, with LA rookie quarterback Justin Herbert throwing three touchdown passes and Chargers defense intercepting Drew Brees.
– New Orleans shortens the gap to 20-10 at halftime.
– The Saints tie the game at the beginning of the fourth quarter between 20 and 20.
– The chargers take a 27-20 lead, with 3:40 still regulated in Herbert's fourth TD pass of the game.
– Brees driving down the field of Saints and Taysom Hill finishing the drive with a touchdown run of 52 seconds of play. (The 33 yard extra point made it 27-27).
– Herbert and Mike Williams combine for a 29 yard deal to bring LA within reach and win the game with a field goal.
– LA kicker Michael Badgley hit the right post with his 50-yard attempt after time ran out in the fourth quarter. Badgley also missed a PAT kick after LA's first touchdown.
– New Orleans is satisfied with three people in the extension.
– LA hits midfield on the following trip, only to flip the ball down and end the game.
New Orleans 30, Los Angeles 27. Exhale.
High roller betting is common in Las Vegas and online (this is all about legal betting) but seven figure bets are still noticed. And even if this was just a routine game by a mega-rich person or a betting consortium, the chargers and saints still made someone sweat.